Thursday, July 30, 2020

Almost Time

It’s the end of July. The start of the school year is looming ever closer. We’ve done our best to rest, to prepare, to not overthink it all. But I still feel like I’m missing the mark on so many things. 

I was asked yesterday by a parent how the teachers felt about the start of school. While it was just a natural part of the conversation I paused. I was overwhelmed with thoughts. How should I answer? I’ve been asked about teacher(S) - so I’m now representing us all! This is a chance, maybe my only, to set the tone, calm a parent, express my concerns, excitement...see that overthinking thing. But I did pause, because as simple a question as it would normally be, nothing about this year seems simple. 

Plans for where we will teach and how we will teach are still being adjusted and likely will be everyday. My school has a plan. Our administration has spent countless hours adjusting and readjusting, but no plan is perfect in the current pandemic. Keeping kids apart won’t be easy. Teaching at a distance doesn’t feel right. So many of the natural processes of teaching have to be adjusted to adhere to safety guidelines, but nonetheless we are heading into August. 

So I hope my answer conveyed all my feelings, calmed a parent, and helped set the tone. I want “my kids” back. I want to be able to teach. I want to be able to interact, be genuine, supportive and encouraging. I want to calm their fears (remember they’re just kids), I want to support and be supported by parents, and I want the education my kids receive to be engaging and rigorous. I want normal back. 

But in reality, nothing will be normal for a while yet. So we head into August and do what educators do. We make the best of the situation at hand. We adjust, we help each other, we make a plan, and then another, and somehow when we look back we see how much we’ve grown and we are better for it. 

So to my fellow educators - whether it is your first year or approaching your last - be true to yourself and your profession. We wish you the best, and remind you to give yourself the grace to not be perfect, to take a few moments each day for yourself, to remember that some of the best lessons aren’t part of the curriculum, and to remember that you are enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Almost Time

It’s the end of July. The start of the school year is looming ever closer. We’ve done our best to rest, to prepare, to not overthink it all...