Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Stepping Out There

I have a secret… I can’t dance. I mean, it’s bad. I am uncoordinated, two left feet. So when it’s time to teach the Jazz Age it gets interesting. I want my students to experience something from the decade. The easiest way was to incorporate some of the moves from the time. I decided to teach the students to dance, but I can’t dance. In order to do this, I first had to change the physical space of the classroom. The students were surprised to walk in and find no desks in the classroom. The wide open space became our dance floor. I took it one step further and came in costume, dressed as a flapper. At first the students stared in disbelief, some laughed nervously. I was a little unsure of myself. Thankfully, the internet helped teach the moves. The students and I learned the Charleston and later the Fox Trot in class. We laughed, a lot! We looked silly. We faced our fears! The students learned.

I heard from parents that evening. The kids came home and taught their families. They left my classroom and performed for other teachers. They may not remember Warren G. Harding and the Teapot Dome Scandal, but they experienced authentic learning and shared it with others.

It took me pushing through my fears, being willing to look foolish with them, and embracing a little chaos in the classroom. In short, I stepped out of my comfort zone and everyone benefited. Now, I have to try to recreate this magic as often as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Almost Time

It’s the end of July. The start of the school year is looming ever closer. We’ve done our best to rest, to prepare, to not overthink it all...